[Python-Dev] nonlocal keyword in 2.x?

Mike Krell mbk.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:30:00 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:24 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> Can you please explain why it would be desirable
> to [backport nonlocal]? 2.7 will likely be the last 2.x release, so only a
> fairly
> small portion of the applications would be actually able to use this (or
> any other new feature added to 2.7): most code supporting 2.x will also
> have to support 2.6, so the keyword won't be available to such code,
> anyway.

Others have explained the rationale for the backport, so I won't bother
repeating those arguments.

I understand your point about code supporting 2.6, but as you say, that
applies to any new features being added in 2.7.  I'm therefore confused as
to what the rationale for a 2.7 release is.  It's a bump in minor release
number, so it's purpose is to add new features, correct?

Could someone please explain what new features are currently envisioned for
2.7?  Why would those make the cut but a not backport of nonlocal?

   Mike