[Python-Dev] MSDN subscribers: Using Visual Studio?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Oct 29 12:57:49 CET 2009

Steve Holden <holdenweb <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I just wondered, with the recent flood of new MSDN subscriptions loosed
> on the developer community, how many people have installed the required
> version of Visual Studio and built Python for Windows from source? Not
> being that familiar with the process myself I was hoping for some advice
> from the inexperienced who have overcome any hurdles there might be. I
> have a pristine virtual machine just waiting for the right pieces ...

If it's just a matter of building and testing it you don't need any MSDN
subscription, you just need Visual Studio Express which is free (as in
free beer...). I don't know if it allows you to build an installer
though.

I won't reply to the other part of the message since I haven't asked for
(nor received) any MSDN subscription :)

Regards

Antoine.