[Python-Dev] Possible language summit topic: buildbots

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Oct 31 19:24:20 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis <martin <at> v.loewis.de> writes:
>> It's not really reproducible. I think it sometimes happens when I
>> restart the master; sometimes, some clients fail to reconnect
>> (properly).
>
> Another common problem is that some buildbot fails in the middle of the test
> suite, with the following kind of message:
>
> command timed out: 1800 seconds without output, killing pid 12325
> process killed by signal 9
> program finished with exit code -1
> elapsedTime=10910.362981
>
> See for example :
> http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/trunk.stable/builders/ia64%20Ubuntu%20trunk/builds/73/steps/test/logs/stdio
>
> (notice, by the way, the elapsed time (10910s, that is, close to 3 hours...))

That's not really a challenge to the buildbot operator, though - the
buildbot will continue just fine afterwards, right?

For some reason, the test suite stopped producing output, and
eventually, the buildbot decided to kill the build process.
Most likely, the machine ran severely out of memory, so everything
stopped working.

Regards,
Martin