[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

Peter Moody peter at hda3.com
Sun Sep 27 09:49:41 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Moody wrote:
>> what you want is strict=True, just checked in. I've been meaning to
>> send an update to the PEP explaining why this choice was made. I'm
>> hoping this will ameliorate your confusion.
>
> If the ip property remains and equality is still broken as Steven
> describes, then no, it won't really alleviate my concerns.
>
> I've also previously registered my objections to using a boolean flag
> for this instead of a separate method.
>
> However, I'll wait and see what the PEP update says before commenting
> further.

I've mailed the PEP patch in, hopefully it will be checked in and
updated shortly.

To be explicit though, unless I'm drastically misreading what you're
asking for, I consider the design you're proposing to be broken from a
usability perspective (striving for academic/pedantic correctness over
accepted practice). I have no intention of adding any sort of
AddressWithNetmask classes or making other fundamental design changes
you've suggested. If what the community requires is the library you've
described, then ipaddr is not that library.

Cheers,
/peter