[Python-Dev] Automatic installer builds (was Re: Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X))

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Wed Apr 14 16:57:03 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:47:50AM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Martin v. L?wis wrote:
> >> Wasn't that problem fixed weeks ago?  The installer image has been
> >> available there since several days after the release.  And the link
> >> seems fine now.
> >
> > The inherent problem remains. There is no binary for 2.7b1, for example.
> > The last binaries produced in the 2.7 testing process were for 2.7a2.
>
> I seem to recall there was some issue (aside from the current lack of a
> reliable OS X buildbot) that prevented us from regularly grabbing the
> head of the tree and using it to automatically build the Windows and Mac
> installers (to check that the installers could actually be created,
> preventing a repeat of the Mac situation with 2.7b1).
>
> Am I misremembering the discussion from last time this topic came up?

Making the Windows binary build process automatic and robust is challenging
if you hate Windows (like I do).  Martin also made the point that it's
been broken forever, so people don't seem to care :).  ISTR Martin just
makes them manually.

It's on my TODO list to robustify this process.

OTOH, my Mac automated builds/tests are working just fine.  I could produce
nightly binaries from those easily enough:

	http://lyorn.idyll.org/ctb/pb-dev/p/python/

Just need to figure out the magic doohickey commands... will add to list.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu