[Python-Dev] Automatic installer builds (was Re: Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X))

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Apr 14 22:20:19 CEST 2010

On 14 Apr, 2010, at 20:46, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> Speaking of which... I have a mac-mini that could be used for a
>> buildbot. How much work is needed to kickstart a buildbot, taking
>> into account that I'd prefer to have a buildbot with different
>> configure-flags that the default unix build (that is, I want to test
>> a framework build that is a universal binary).
>
> The configure flags are defined on the master, so if I know what they
> should be, I can arrange your slave to see them. You can't then change
> them easily.

That's fine. I'll first create a stable environment for performing builds/tests and contact you when I'm ready to be added to the buildbot farm.

That should be easy enough to arange. The buildbot manual mentions an @reboot crontab entry, but a launchd item should be easy enough and is slightly cleaner.

>> Creating the Mac installer is easy: just run
>> Mac/BuildScript/build-installer.py on an OSX 10.5 system where a
>> local version of Tcl/Tk 8.4 is installed in /Library/Frameworks. The
>> system should also not have fink or darwinports and a clean
>> /usr/local tree to avoid contaminating the build.
>
> Buildbot also supports uploading binaries to the master, which we did
> for the Windows builds. We could do that for OSX as well (in which case
> the release manager might be able to trigger a release build by just
> passing the right branch name in the master UI).

How would that work? Creation of the OSX installer is not integrated in the regular Makefiles but is a separate script.

A slightly problematic issue is that the machine I want to use for the buildbot is running OSX 10.6 and creating the binary installer doesn't work on 10.6 yet, but that should be easy enough to fix when I look into it.

Ronald