[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for "dangerjim" to do triage.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Apr 26 08:12:23 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 08:42:00PM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>What is *his* interest? How long has he known and used Python?

Good points have been made on both sides of the issue here.  Despite my
having a vested interest, I really have no strong feelings one way or
another on the initial request.

But, the answers to your questions above may make it more clear why I was
looking for the enhanced privileges.

James (dangerjim) has *NO* knowledge of Python -- he has done primarily C
and Java coding.  He *DOES* have time on his hands.  This is why I proposed
to him to do tracker triage.

However, as I started walking him through some examples of triage, I
realized that regular accounts don't have the privileges to do any of the
things I was proposing.  For example:

   Go into the list of task tasks and look at the ones with no priority.
   Read through the description and any follow-ups and try to figure out
   what priority to give it.  In most cases it will be "normal".  However,
   for some issues it will be clear they should be a higher or lower
   priority, even to someone who doesn't know Python.

   Then we went on to issue 5575 and read through it.  In reading this one
   to determine the priority, it was clear that the ball was back in
   Collin's court, so I showed that I would look to see if Collin was a
   valid assignee (which he was) and assign it to him, with a comment about
   why.

   Go into old bugs that have patches, and see if the patches cleanly apply
   against the trunk.  If they do, do a "make" and "make test".  Add a
   comment with the outcome.

Two of the 3 easiest things I came up with for an outsider to help out
with, are things that his account couldn't do.

But, as I said above, I'm fine with having him push those changes through
me and I can make them when he can't.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 "It was a sneaky lawyer's trick, and I fell for it.  Because...  She's much
 smarter than me." -- _High_Fidelity_