[Python-Dev] Anyone can do patch reviews

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Tue Apr 27 21:27:22 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 03:23:19PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > Tres Seaver <tseaver <at> palladion.com> writes:
> >> This is an excellent set of guidelines.  The only drawback I see here is
> >> that the current VCS situation makes doing the review more tedious than
> >> it should be, especially for non-committers.  Or maybe the Hg mirrors
> >> are truly up-to-date and working?  Last I looked, they were lagging or
> >> unavailable.
> >
> > If you only a review a patch (rather than say maintain and evolve it), there's
> > no point in using hg rather than SVN.
>
> Hmm, it feels exactly the other way around to me:  working with the DVCS
> tools while reviewiing a patch allows me to be more productive (e.g.,
> using 'bzr shelve' or the equivalent hg subcommand).
>
> Making a local branch / clone for each issue also feels more natural
> than working in a read-only SVN checkout.

+1.  I find it to be an excellent way to muck around with patches and
make my own changes / diffs / etc. for a review process.  (Not that I
do any Python reviews, note.  But it's a great technique in general.)

It's also fantastically simple and esay to interact with patches that are
branches on someone's bitbucket or github repo; much better than uploading and
downloading patch files while in the middle of a discussion.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu