[Python-Dev] Windows MSI installer with minimal options

Paul Kippes kippesp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:00:27 CEST 2010

Martin,

For the most part, the information at
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4/msi/ assisted me with
automating a 2.7 installation on Windows XP.  The following initial
attempt, however, failed to provide a working python installation.
(Messages are either "The system cannot execute the specified
program." or "This application has failed to start because the
application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application
may fix this problem.")

msiexec /qb /i python-2.7.msi ALLUSERS=1 ADDLOCAL=Extensions

After looking through Tools/msi/msi.py, I was able to automate a
minimal and working Python installation with this adjustment:

ADDLOCAL=Extensions,SharedCRT

Since the only reference I could find to the above web page was when
the MSI installer was first announced
(http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.2), the installer options
may have changed since then.

Would you check if my change is what you intended and perhaps migrate
the web page of the 2.4 release note to 2.7?

Thanks!