[Python-Dev] Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 21:17:23 CEST 2010

On 4 August 2010 15:48, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Should note that I did try to build Python using my MSDN license for Windows 7
> and Visual Studio 2010.  I only had an hour or so to attempt it, and did not
> succeed, though I think I got as far as trying to properly situate various
> dependent libraries (sqlite, ssl).
>
> If anybody's successfully navigated the twisty maze, would you be able to
> write something up on the wiki to describe the steps you've taken?

I could probably reasonably easily set up a (VMWare/VirtualBox) VM
image of a Windows 7 system with VS installed and all the
infrastructure set up for Python development/testing, using my MSDN
license (in fact, that's something I keep meaning to do for my own
purposes, anyway).

I don't know what issues there might be in making that available for
others to use - on the one hand, it would need to be protected so that
it couldn't be taken by just anyone, and it may be necessary to set
something up to allow other users to re-register the software with
their own license keys, but in principle that's just "a matter of
programming"...

Hosting might also be fun - I'm on an ADSL connection so uploading a
(multi-)gigabyte image could be a challenge :-)

If there's interest in this (and more particularly, if anyone could
offer advice on what would be needed to be sure I do it legally!), let
me know and I'll look into it.
Paul.