[Python-Dev] Looking after the buildbots (in general)

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Aug 4 18:42:25 CEST 2010

On 03:31 pm, barry at python.org wrote:
>On Aug 04, 2010, at 03:15 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>>
>>>I'd classify this as a failure of the tools, not of the developers.
>>>even prevent future commits) until everything is green again.
>>>any of this will take valuable volunteer time.  It's also unsexy
>>>work.
>>
>>How hard is it to look at a web page?
>
>That's not the right question :)
>
>The real questions are: how hard is it to remember how to find the
>appropriate
>web page

Oh, come on.  I don't believe this.
>how hard is it to know which buildbots are *actually* stable enough
>to rely on,

This is more plausible.  But it's not the tools' fault that the test
suite has intermittent failures.  Developers choose to add new features
or change existing ones instead of fixing bugs in existing code or
tests.  I'd call that a developer failure.
>how hard is it to decipher the results to know what they're
>telling you?

Red bad, green good.

A much more plausible explanation, to me, is that most developers don't
really care if things are completely working most of the time.  They're
happy to push the work onto other developers and onto the release team.
And as long as other developers let them get away with that, it's not
likely to stop.

But perhaps the people picking up the slack here don't mind and are
happy to keep doing it, in which case nothing needs to change.

Jean-Paul