[Python-Dev] Looking after the buildbots (in general)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 4 20:57:48 CEST 2010

> This whole discussion seems to make it clear that the release manager
> procedures are still ill-defined in certain areas.

No. It rather makes clear that people who never had the role of release
manager

> Otherwise a release
> manager could proceed by reading a web page an even, heaven help us,
> following specific links to ensure particular actions were taken.

When Barry had the keys to the time machine, he wrote PEP 101,
to give you a web page with specific links in it:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0101/

> But I see rules being established ("there's a language moratorium: no
> changes!", "no release should be made unless the buildbots are *all*
> green") and then ignored apparently on a whim.

What makes you say that?

> Establishing comprehensive procedures can be as difficult as
> programming, though, and requires skills that have eluded me through a
> fairly lengthy technical career. So it also boils down to shortage of
> manpower of a particular kind. People with programming skill would,
> understandably, rather invest their time in something they are good at.

I think you are belittling the contributions of past and present
release managers.

Regards,
Martin