[Python-Dev] mingw support?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 02:12:07 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 5:55 AM,  <linux at gabriel-striewe.de> wrote:
> I know the question is why anybody should want to do so, but I do
> think that a project which depends on a non-free compiler is not free
> after all.

It's a philosophical question - Python is under a BSD style license,
so the core devs (taken as a group) don't have a fundamental objection
to the idea of closed source software, just a pragmatic view that open
source is simply a better approach most of the time (both as a
developer and as a user).

This used to be more of an issue because MS didn't provide a decent
free compiler for their platform. These days (since the release of
Visual Studio Express), we expect that people willing to use (or
support) a closed OS can cope with also using the free-as-in-beer
closed compiler provided by the vendor of that OS.

Cheers,
Nick.