[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r83893 - python/branches/release27-maint/Misc/ACKS

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 10 07:53:51 CEST 2010

Am 10.08.2010 05:49, schrieb Alexander Belopolsky:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
>> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Was it on IRC? I do remember discussion, but forgot the answer. :(
>>
>> python-dev or python-checkins I think, but I don't really remember.
>> (Not IRC though, as I only very rarely drop in on the channel)
>>
> I'll search the archives.  My reasoning was that Å in Åstrand was the
> same as Å in Ångström.  Webster's dictionary (1992 edition that was on
> my bookshelf) has Ångström (Anders Jonas) between angstrom (the unit)
> and Anguilla (an island).

People need to recognize that any kind of reference is really irrelevant
here. There is no "right" order that is better than any other "right"
order. I'd personally object to any English language dictionary telling
me how my name sorts in the alphabet.

(and yes, I do think it's "wrong" that it got sorted after Lyngvig -
in Germany, we put the ö as if it was "oe" - unlike the Swedes, which
put the very same letter after the rest of the alphabet. So the
ö in Chrigström sorts in a different way than the ö in Löwis. If I move
to Sweden, the file would have to change :-)

Regards,
Martin