[Python-Dev] r83893 - python/branches/release27-maint/Misc/ACKS

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 10 21:38:33 CEST 2010

On 8/10/2010 3:25 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

> Everyone working on the English-based Python distribution knows the
> order of the 26 English letters. Please use that order (including for
> decorated versions and tranliterations) instead of various idiosyncratic
> and possibly conflicting nationality-based rules.

Since the list is now utf-8 instead of latin-1 encoded, we could include
the actual native character name, if supplied, in parentheses after the
English-alphabetized transliteration.

If we were to follow native rules, all Japanese names, for instance,
should be separately listed and ordered according to the Japanese order,
which is quite different from the European orders.

--
Terry Jan Reedy