[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 3 00:38:36 CET 2010

> From my point of view, the PEP 3149 text is just a proposal.  It leaves the
> final decision to PEP 384, but tries to address some of the issues raised
> during the PEP 3149 discussion.  I think it is within PEP 384's scope to make
> the final decisions about it.

Ok, then it looks like there just won't be any support for module
tagging of ABI-conforming modules. It might be possible to support
something like this in the import code, but I would consider this
pointless without accompanying distutils support.

Then, by default, the modules just use the ABI tag that distutils
assigns to them by default. It's interesting to note that #9807
got into distutils despite it being frozen (but this is not about
ABI tags, right - so does distutils in 3.2 actually assign any
ABI tag at all?)

> I would favor changing distutils, if it can be done in a way that reasonably
> preserves backward compatibility.

It seems this is right out for policy reasons.

Regards,
Martin