[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 13:34:48 CET 2010

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net> writes:

Hi Antoine,

> When you make significant changes outside of logging, it would be nice
> if you first opened an issue and posted the patch for review. There's
> nothing obviously wrong with what you committed, but I think it's
> principally better to ask first for advice.

Sorry, which significant changes outside of logging do you mean? If you're
referring to my addition of TestHandler and Matcher to test.support, I did
mention this earlier in the thread, with a link to the code (though it wasn't on
a patch added to the tracker, I agree). I can revert this change, if you want.

The changes in r87157 are to Lib/logging/__init__.py, Lib/test/test_logging.py
and Misc/NEWS - so IMO not outside of logging. Perhaps wrongly, I expected that
these straightforward-seeming changes wouldn't adversely affect anyone else's
workflow, except perhaps making it easier for Brian Quinlan to make changes to
test_concurrent_futures to resolve #10626. I did run regressions and everything
passed OK.

> (then there's nothing wrong with committing if you didn't get an
> opinion past a week or two)

Sorry if my eagerness has stepped on any toes - it's not intentional. The diff
of the changes is here:

https://gist.github.com/736120

Comments are of course welcome.

Regards,