[Python-Dev] Update xml.etree.ElementTree for Python 2.7 and 3.2

Simon Cross hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:36:26 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:40 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Which most probably puts elementtree in bugfix-only mode. I don't
>> necessarily disagree with such a decision, but it must be quite clear.

The current situation is even worse than bugfix-only mode. Even
bugfixes struggle to make it in.

> My point is that the decision as already made when ElementTree was
> incorporated into the standard library; it's the same policy for most
> code that Fredrik Lundh has contributed (and which he still maintains
> outside the standard library as well). He has made it fairly clear on
> several occasions that this is how he expects things to work, and unless
> we want to truly fork the code, we should comply.

We need someone to maintain the copy of ElementTree in the Python
repository. Ideally this means pulling upgrades and bugfixes from
Fredrik's repository every now and then. If the goals of Python
ElementTree and Fredrik ElementTree diverge I don't see a problem with
an amicable fork. Fredrik and Python ElementTree do have rather
different constraints (for example, Python ElementTree has fewer
opportunities for breaking backwards compatibility).

Schiavo
Simon