[Python-Dev] Fwd: Download Page - AMD64

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:35:51 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 00:11, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> -1. AMD doesn't want us to use the term x86-64 anymore, but wants us
> to use AMD64 instead. I think we should comply - they invented the
> architecture, so they have the right to give it a name. Neither
> Microsoft nor Intel have such a right.

I see and agree with the motivation behind your point, but it's just
as reasonable to mimic the name Microsoft uses: the release is for
Windows rather than the processor. On MSDN Microsoft uses
parentheticals x86, ia64 and x64; this would suggest a name like
Python 2.6.4 installer for Windows (x64). Unfortunately this usage
doesn't seem to be reflected in consumer-oriented product pages, so
I'm uncertain how clear it is for those downloading Python.

--
Michael Urman