[Python-Dev] Bazaar branches available (again) on Launchpad

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 05:10:07 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM, David Lyon <david.lyon at pythontest.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Being honest, if wonderful libraries like Sphinx and Mercurial
> and Git and BZR can't make it into the stdlib, then there is
> no hope for even newer code to get in there.

Did you ever stop to think that some package authors do not want their
code in the standard library? That throwing random shiny things in
there just makes it a junk drawer?

Besides: Show us the PEP to include Sphinx, and it's dependencies in
the standard lib, with Georg's signature at the bottom.

The authors of modules have to want things to be in there, they have
to be best of breed, tested or common-enough patterns to warrant a
slot. We have things in the standard lib which still need more TLC and
maintenance, or they need to be shunted into space.

Adding random things, which may or may not help packaging, and
installing things from random places in someone source repository
won't make things better.

> Plus, promoting all sorts of new and fangled tools however
> good they may or may not be just confuses users and ends
> up being a waste of time imho. It isn't good management
> of volounteers time and effort.
>
> If you could imagine disaster relief coordinated this
> way, it would just be a disaster in itself.
>
> That's why it has taken some 5 years to get PEP-345 done.

I'm going to assume that you're trolling now, or intentionally
misrepresenting facts. Maybe a little of both. A PEP, and an
implementation and the ability to rationally debate, discuss and
defend your proposal is what is needed to enact changes on policies,
python-core or the standard library.

>> The decision to move python's source control from SVN to mercurial was
>> controversial enough; including 3 or more scm libraries into core
>> would be an intractable uphill mountain of bike sheds.
>
> Not at all.
>
> It would be a very fair thing to do. Not to mention being
> great for users.

There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.

> Anyway.. Maybe I do get what your talking about. Even if you do
> talk with a strange accent. :-)

My sense of humor has been disabled by repeated stunning at your
hands. I admire your enthusiasm, even if I do think some of it is
misplaced, or at guided into the proper channels at very least.

Please, you seem to have the time and willingness to help, please go
about this the right way. Discuss things on the proper lists, make
concrete proposals. If you have have standard lib changes, discuss
them on stdlib-sig, if you have ideas about python-the-language, or
the interpreter, etc - please discuss it on python-ideas.

jesse