[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 14:30:08 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <lvh at laurensvh.be> wrote:
> I'm not sure what sort of an effect it would have if we took it out.
> Maybe something we could try? I'm not sure it'd have much of a
> practical effect since most of the regulars expertise isn't going to
> shift instantly, so getting actual help is probably going to be a bit
> rough on 3.x users.

Given the number of other links that are already in the status
message, it would be really nice if the comment could be updated to
something like:

"Is Python3 ready for me? http://python-commandments.org/python3.html"

i.e. make it clear that this is a question where the answer will vary
based on your use case, and provide a clear direction on where to get
more information.

That page could then be updated to give a more balance view of the
pros of Python 3 (e.g. cleaner core language design, future direction
of the language, much better Unicode support) and the pros of Python 2
(e.g. wider installed base, better current third party library
support, greater existing developer base, larger support ecosystem,
greater #python expertise)

> (One of the problems people I've talked to in private that were
> "pretty miffed" about is the dissonance between #python and
> python-dev, and that there's some problem with people assuming things
> said on #python as being very authoritative answers (ha ha). I think
> this is really bad for Python as a whole and I've love to hear ideas
> on how you guys think it could be fixed.)

There are always going to be differences in how different communities
see the world and even the "Python community" is far too large to have
a consistent point of view on almost any topic. So we'll likely have
to muddle through with various ideas slowly percolating through to
different parts of the community. That said, keeping in touch with the
#python crew is certainly something we haven't paid much attention to
in the past, but is probably just as important as staying in touch
with major library developers and the developers of other
implementations.

Cheers,
Nick.