[Python-Dev] Two small PEP ideas

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 3 18:40:44 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On May 01, 2010, at 07:12 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>>> IIRC in the IETF this is done by the committee chair. I think it's a
>>> good idea to have this be a single person to avoid endless indecision.
>>
>>It then seems that this role should go to the release manager of the
>>upcoming feature release. Assuming Georg can accept this additional
>>responsibility.
>
> I do think it makes sense for the RM to assume these responsibilities where
> Guido either can't or doesn't want to make the final decision.  I think it
> will fairly substantially increase the workload on the RM, so perhaps there
> are ways to off-load some of the current responsibilities (e.g. updating the
> website for each release).  I also think that RMs should be term-limited so
> that we can spread more experience within the community.  And past-RMs can
> provide a sort of consultation group where contentious decisions can be
> discussed and advice gathered.

While I certainly won't object if a release manager volunteers to also
be the final PEP arbiter, I don't want to make it a job requirement
(or even an implied expectation). The responsibility of a release
manager is very much in the here and now and the near future --
stability and consistency of the current release. Being PEP arbiter
requires a somewhat different mindset, more focused on the long-term
health of the language and its community.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)