[Python-Dev] PEP 3148 ready for pronouncement

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sun May 23 01:12:46 CEST 2010

On 22 May 2010, at 23:59, R. David Murray wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2010 19:12:05 +1000, Brian Quinlan
> <brian at sweetapp.com> wrote:
>> On May 22, 2010, at 5:30 AM, Dj Gilcrease wrote:
>>>
>>> I think any time till the PEP is accepted is a good time to discuss
>>> changes to the API
>>
>> I disagree. If a PEP is being updated continuously then there is
>> nothing stable to pronounce on.
>
> Well, you've been making updates as a result of this round of
> discussion.

Yes, I've been making documentation and PEP updates to clarify points
that people found confusing and will continue to do so.

> If there is still discussion then perhaps the PEP isn't ready for
> pronouncement yet.  At some point someone can decide it is all
> bikeshedding and ask for pronouncement on that basis, but I don't
> think it is appropriate to cut off discussion by saying "it's ready
> for
> pronouncement" unless you want increase the chances of its getting
> rejected.

Here are the new proposed non-documentation changes that I've
collected (let me know if I've missed any):

Rename "executor" => "executer"
Rename "submit" to "apply"
Rename "done" to "finished"
Rename "not_finished" to "pending"
Rename "FIRST_COMPLETED" to "ONE_COMPLETED"

We can discuss naming for all eternity and never reach a point where
even half of the participants are satisfied.

Since naming has been discussed extensively here and in stdlib-sig, I
think that we have to decide that it is good enough and move on. Or
decide that it isn't good enough and reject the PEP.

Cheers,
Brian