[Python-Dev] Breaking undocumented API

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Nov 17 16:30:03 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:24 AM, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> (and is a little trickier in the case of module level globals, since those can't be deprecated properly)
>
> People keep saying this, but there have already been examples shown of how to do it. I actually think that python should include a way to do so standard -- it's a reasonable enough desire, as shown by how many times in this thread the inability to do so has been mentioned. If the existing working 3rd-party mechanisms aren't good enough for python-dev standards, come up with a new way...

That's quite the distraction from the current thread though. Start
discussing it on python-ideas, or submit a code fix, or something in
between. But the hackish way that some 3rd party frameworks use
(replacing the module object with a class instance in sys.modules) is
clearly not right for the standard library (I'll explain on
python-ideas if you insist).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)