[Python-Dev] Build failure in test_cmd_line on OSX-x86

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 8 19:28:52 CEST 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:02:59 -0700
Stephen Hansen <me+python at ixokai.io> wrote:

> And long story short, it gets to 201 and runs test_cmd_line in the same
> order as the buildbot did, and it succeeds too, and I curse the gods of the
> netherworld, and am stumped with how to proceed. Two separate buildbot runs
> and this same failure happened, yet for me, no. Or I'm doing something
> differently then the buildbot is, and I can't see what.

The buildbot user probably has different locale settings. I can
simulate the failure with:

$ PYTHONFSENCODING=latin1 ./python -m test.regrtest test_cmd_line
[1/1] test_cmd_line
test test_cmd_line failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/antoine/py3k/__svn__/Lib/test/test_cmd_line.py", line
127, in test_run_code 0)
AssertionError: 1 != 0

You should therefore see what the locale settings of the buildbot are
(the LANG and LC_* environment variables). Of course, the test is also
buggy so you should open an issue on the tracker.

(and the fact that the test doesn't print the actual error message of
the spawned interpreter is unhelpful)

Regards

Antoine.