[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Oct 12 06:55:22 CEST 2010

Le 12/10/2010 01:11, Giampaolo Rodolà a écrit :
> Wouldn't be kinda weird that one can open the command prompt and run
> "pysetup" but not "python" on Windows?
> I recall an old issue on the bug tracker in which the latter proposal
> was widely discussed and finally rejected for reasons I can't remember
> (and it seems I can't even find the bug right now).
> I think it's likely that those same reasons are valid for "pysetup" in
> the same manner.

Arguments for rejection by MvL in http://bugs.python.org/issue3561 :

“Adding something to PATH is nearly unacceptable clutter even during
installation, and completely unacceptable (to me) after uninstallation.
If you install Python several times, will the path get longer and longer?”

“To me, any change to PATH is a problem... (I really think that software
installation should never ever touch it - this aspect of the operating
system completely belongs to the user resp. the system administrator)”

“If such a solution was designed, there would still be many questions,
such as:
- what is the actual problem being solved? Is it real? Could there
  be other solutions to that problem (such as installing things into
  system32, or somewhere else that is on the PATH already)?
- if the path is modified, should the Python directory be added to
  the beginning or the end?
- IMO, this feature needs to be customizable, and IMO, it must be
  turned off by default. So how should such customization be offered?”

Regarding pysetup, would it be acceptable to require programmers on
Windows to edit their PATH or copy the script to a directory on PATH?

Regards