[Python-Dev] r85838 - python/branches/py3k/.gitignore

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Wed Oct 27 09:54:09 CEST 2010

On 10/27/2010 3:25 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

>>> No, but supporting the current big four open source ones (svn, hg,
>>> bzr, git) seems reasonable enough.
>>
>> +1.  A couple of extra dot files never hurt anyone. :)
>
> Why hg and bzr can't be tuned to understand .svnignore files?

Is there such a thing? I think you mean the svn:ignore metadata, which I
doubt you can get to through either mirror.

Even if you could, svn:ignore is pretty weak (only applies to the
directory it is set on and can only do glob patterns). .hgignore is
significantly more robust (and only has to be written to a single spot)
since matches entire paths and supports regex. Eventually, we'll need to
build an appropriate .hgignore file for the python tree anyways.

As with others, I don't see the harm in committers who use those tools
adding and maintaining these files. Seems akin to having
Misc/python-mode.el and Misc/Vim/python.vim. It's all in the spirit of
supporting the tools that people are actually using.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at cs.indiana.edu