[Python-Dev] 3.x as the official release

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 15 22:32:27 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:45, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> At 11:11 AM 9/15/2010 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>
>>> Given that wsgiref is in the stdlib, I think we should hold up the 3.2
>>> release (and even the first beta) until this is resolved, unless we
>>> can convince ourselves that it's okay to delete wsgiref from the
>>> stdlib (which sounds unlikely but may not be any more incompatible
>>> than making it work properly :-).
>>
>> FWIW, I'd be fine with that option.

I'm also fine with removing the module if that is what it takes to
move all of this forward. That would remove Python 3.2's release cycle
from this picture while also allowing a finalization of WSGI specs to
continue in parallel.

But this probably shouldn't happen as Geremy's Cheeseshop #s put
wsgiref squarely in the middle of most used stdlib modules with 421
projects. So there are users of the module.

> Could we remove in any case the wsgiref.egg-info file ? Since we've
> been working on a new format for that (PEP 376), that should be
> starting to get used in the coming years, it'll be a bit of a
> non-sense to have that metadata file in the sdtlib shipped with 3,2
>
> I am not really sure what was the intent to have it there in the first
> place though.

I say go ahead and remove it.