[Python-Dev] (Not) delaying the 3.2 release

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Thu Sep 16 02:55:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> My goal (personally) is to make sure python 3.2 is perfectly good for use in web applications, and is therefore a much more interesting porting target for web projects/libraries and frameworks.

To try (again) to make things concrete here:

I didn't work to get Django running on Python 3.0 because it was just too slow.

I'm not working to get Django running on Python 3.1 because I don't
feel confident I'll be able to put any apps I write into production.

If Python 3.2 is the same, I won't feel any motivation to target it
and I'll get to be lazy and wait for Python 3.3.

If, on the other hand, Python 3.2 "is perfectly good for use in web
applications" then I'll be inspired to work on porting to it. And if I
don't Jesse will yell out me, louder and louder, until I find some
inspiration.

Now, I'm really only speaking for myself here -- not making any
statements on behalf of the Django core team, or community, or Python
web community, or whatever. So if you think I'm alone (or a minority)
in feeling this way then by all means hurry up and push out Python
3.2. If, on the other hand, you think that others in the Python web
community might feel similarly, well, then maybe the delay would be
worth it.

Jacob