[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 23 16:01:57 CEST 2010

On Sep 23, 2010, at 08:40 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>That's right.  It is true that it isn't branch-specific information,
>and that does cause a little bit of irritation for me too, but neither
>is Misc/developers.txt or Misc/maintainers.rst.
>
>Of course, we might consider a separate HG repository (I'm all in favor
>of many small repos, instead of a gigantic sandbox one).  The downside
>is that I really like the developer docs at docs.python.org, and it
>would complicate the build process a bit.

Ideally, I would really like to see the developer docs live outside the
CPython source repository.  There's no reason to tie the dev docs to CPython's
svn merge policies, write acls, or release schedules.  Given the way
docs.python.org is stitched together, and the fact that we (still ;) haven't
moved to a dvcs, this may not be feasible.

These docs are better off in the wiki than in the source tree.

-Barry