[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Sep 23 16:16:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 23:35:02 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > The practicality argument of being able to edit those docs without
> > having to master a separate (pydotorg) workflow sounds quite strong to
> > me.
>
> This is the key point for me. For developer controlled stuff, the
> easiest place to have it if we want it kept up to date is in the
> source tree. Second best is the wiki. Having it off in a separately
> managed repository (that exists for perfectly valid reasons, since a
> lot of the content *isn't* developer controlled) is annoying.
>
> That said, in this case, what's the advantage of the source tree over
> the wiki? To include it in the main docs, so people reading them
> offline can still see the contribution workflow?

I'd *much* rather edit rst files than futz with a web interface when
editing docs.  The wiki also somehow feels "less official".

I do think exposing our development process to the wider user community
by including them in the main docs could foster additional community
involvement, but I don't have a strong opinion on that aspect of it.
For me the change is about making it easier for the dev community
(who are using/creating the development infrastructure) to update the
relevant documentation.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com