[Python-Dev] Python wiki

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 16:19:03 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Wiki maintenance is discussed, along with other python.org maintenance
> topics, on the pydotorg-www mailing list:

> More wiki and website maintainers needed!

We could probably advertise helping with pydotorg itself a bit more in
the "How can I help?" sections of the docs and website.

I did just notice there is actually a "Help Maintain Website" on the
left of the main page which is a good start, but (for example) the
general Python FAQ in the docs points people to
http://python.org/dev/, which in turn has a "Suggested Tasks" link to
http://python.org/dev/contributing/. That page could probably do with
a section in the main text that links to the website maintenance info
page.

That page itself could also mention assisting in wiki maintenance as a
way to demonstrate interest (similar to the way patches and triage
assistance show interest in contributing to the official docs and
source code).

For the wiki itself, I would suggest a "Help Maintain the Wiki" link
in the left navbar of each (with appropriately updated text, that
could just link to the general website maintenance page).

So, given that we don't actually *ask* anywhere for people to
contribute to the wiki, I guess it isn't that surprising that it is
underutilised.

Something else the wiki can be *very* useful for is to provide
information that is potentially useful to Python users, but that we
don't want to be seen as unduly "blessed" by either python-dev or the
PSF. Lists of libraries supporting particular tasks can fit into that
category, since an entry on an open access wiki page is (justifiably)
going to be given far less weight than a reference from the official
documentation.

Cheers,
Nick.