[Python-Dev] Goodbye

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 24 21:36:16 CEST 2010

On 9/24/2010 1:41 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Yes, and we'd all like more people to do more "real" work.  But not
> everybody has the time or skills.  I think this is a case where
> "agreeing to disagree" is the best we can do.

There is also the matter of letting people start with something they
feel condident with and grow into more complicated tasks.

> Specifically, Terry has made a strong case that "a few minutes per
> issue" *can* improve the tracker in ways that *are* noticable to some
> of the developers (and some of them have acknowledged that).  It would
> be nice if the "tracker trimmers"[1] could assemble 60 of those into a
> few hours, and do some "real work", but that's often just not possible
> (especially for people with minimal programming expertise as yet).
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  Trawlers take fish out of the ocean: not really the best
> metaphor.  Gardening is a better metaphor.

For instance, while 'gardening', I discovered 4! duplicate open issues
about the bug created by the difflib.SequenceMatcher heuristic. I
consolidated them into one, got intrigued, did some tests with 3.1, read
difflib.py, ..., and now have a patch posted written with Eli Bendersky.

--
Terry Jan Reedy