[Python-Dev] Python wiki

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Sep 25 23:05:31 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Also, I gotta say that the wiki login process is awkward.
>
> MoinMoin supports OpenID, although I did find and report issues with Moin 1.9
> in this regard. Something on my now-huge list of things to do is to make Moin
> authentication better, especially where there might be a choice of
> authentication methods.

Unfortunately, most sites using OpenID seem have an awkward login
process. Maybe it's just me (I don't use OpenID much) but I expect
that without a lot more handholding of new users, OpenID actually
turns more people away than any other registration/login process. The
people who like OpenID are often the ultra-geeks who cannot imagine
the worldview of a typical internet user, and when they design a
website they are often clueless about what it feels like to start
using OpenID for the first time or to remember your OpenID handle if
the last time you used it was a month ago.

Not that the native Moin login method is much better... Either way,
Python's wikis have some of the most awkward auth systems I've come
across.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)