[Python-Dev] hg conversion: tags

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun Sep 26 16:52:47 CEST 2010

On 09/26/2010 07:40 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> For example, it might be interesting to bring old release
>> tags in line with newer tags (so Release_1_0 would become r10), or
>> maybe use clean tags similar to what we do with hg itself (r266 would
>> become just 2.6.6), or just remove some tags. Is this a good idea at
>> all, or should we just leave everything the way it is now?
> Removing tags sounds fine with me. Renaming them not so; I fail to see
> the point.

One point is to remove inconsistencies tied to CVS-era restrictions:
the tags which correspond to (define) actual numbered releases have
goofy names due to CVSism ('r266' is a ridiculously hard-to-figure-out
alternative to '2.6.6').

Given that nobody will be able to update checkouts in place anyway, I
think taking this opportunity to use "real" version IDs for tags would
be a much better than sticking with the old cruft.

- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)