[Python-Dev] hg conversion: tags

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 26 18:54:24 CEST 2010

> One point is to remove inconsistencies tied to CVS-era restrictions:
> the tags which correspond to (define) actual numbered releases have
> goofy names due to CVSism ('r266' is a ridiculously hard-to-figure-out
> alternative to '2.6.6').
>
> Given that nobody will be able to update checkouts in place anyway, I
> think taking this opportunity to use "real" version IDs for tags would
> be a much better than sticking with the old cruft.

Please understand that this will also delay the introduction of
Mercurial. Not only will the tag names have to be changed, but also all
software doing automatic processing of tag names will have to be updated
(in addition to being ported to Mercurial, which is necessary either
way).

But then, if somebody volunteers to make these changes, I'm -0 to
the renaming (I slightly prefer calling even future release tags rXYZ).

Regards,
Martin