[Python-Dev] Atlassian and bitbucket merge

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Sep 29 09:30:20 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:58, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Looking at their pricing model, we don't need permission; public repos
> can have unlimited contributors. Plus bitbucket supports CNAMEs so we
> would also be able to still have hg.python.org for accessing the
> repos.
>
> The trick would be managing accounts. I would assume either everyone
> would need bitbucket accounts to add as contributors to a repo, or a
> dummy python-dev user account would be created where select core devs
> could add SSH keys to the python-dev user account (although I think
> the latter would destroy the commit history in terms of who made what
> change as I suspect bitbucket does it based on the bitbucket account
> and not one's .hgrc info although I could be wrong). Without knowing
> how this would be handled I can't really comment.

Yeah, you can just add all the SSH keys to a single account. And
usernames are always taken from the hgrc. Remember, the changeset
authors are put into the changeset at commit time, not at push time,
and the changeset ID depends on it, so you could never have a remote
host changing the usernames without the history changing.

Still, I think the flexibility of self-hosting (in terms of hooks and
extension -- for example the one that would allow lookup by SVN rev)
should win out here.

Cheers,

Dirkjan