[Python-Dev] hg conversion: tags

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Sep 29 10:15:25 CEST 2010

Okay, so let's summarize this thread so far:

Martin is in favor of removing some tags (certainly partial ones), but
is -0 on renaming them.
Tres is in favor of renaming release tags.
Georg advocates removing non-release tags, and doesn't care much about renaming.
Barry would like to clean up release tag names (either dotted or hexversion).
Alexander is +1 on renaming tags on the premise that "r311" tags
conflict with "r42543" SVN rev notation.
Antoine is in favor of renaming tags on the premise that using hg log
-rr311 is awkward in comparison to -r3.1.1.

So it seems like most people here like the idea of renaming the tags.
Martin and Georg would also like to get rid of some of the non-release
tags, but it's unclear if we should get rid of all non-release tags or
just the partial ones.

Below is a grouped list. Based on that list, I propose the following scheme:

- keep all "normal" release tags, renamed along these lines:
    r27 -> 2.7
    r266 -> 2.6.6
    r27rc2 -> 2.7rc2
    r262c1 -> 2.6.2rc1 (rc and c should be normalized into the same
thing, don't care which one)
    r30b3 -> 3.0b3
    release22 -> 2.2

- keep Mac release tags that don't have the top-level Mac dir, renamed
along these lines:
    r23b1-mac -> 2.3b1-mac

- get rid of "special" release tags and Mac release tags with top-level Mac dir
- get rid of email and distutils tags
- get rid of all other tags

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Dirkjan

"Normal" release tags:

r32a2
r266
r266rc2
r266rc1
r32a1
r27
r27rc2
r27rc1
r27b2
r27b1
r312
r265
r265rc2
r312rc1
r27a4
r265rc1
r27a3
r255
r255c2
r255c1
r27a2
r27a1
r311
r264
r264rc2
r264rc1
r263
r263rc1
r311rc1
r31
r31rc2
r31rc1
r31b1
r262
r262c1
r31a2
r31a1
r301
r254
r253
r246
r253c1
r246c1
r261
r30
r30rc3
r30rc2
r26
r26rc2
r30rc1
r26rc1
r30b3
r26b3
r26b2
r30b2
r26b1
r30b1
r26a3
r30a5
r26a2
r30a4
r237
r245
r237c1
r245c1
r30a3
r26a1
r252
r252c1
r251c1
r30a2
r30a1
r251
r236
r236c1
r244
r244c1
r25
r25c2
r25c1
r25b3
r25b2
r25b1
r25a2
r25a1
r25a0
r243
r243c1
r242
r242c1
r241
r241c2
r241c1
r235
r235c1
r24
r24c1
r24b2
r24b1
r24a3
r24a2
r24a1
r234
r234c1
r233
r233c1
r232
r232c1
r231
r23
r23c2
r23c1
r23b2
r09b1
r223
r223c1
r23b1
r23a2
r09a2
r09a1
r23a1
r09a0
r222
r222b1
r221
r213
r22p1
r221c2
r221c1
r212
r212c1
r22c1
r22b2
r22b1
r22a4
r22a3
r22a2
r211
r22a1
r211c1
r201
r201c1
r21c2
r21c1
r21b2
r21b1
r161
r21a2
r21a1
r20c1
r20b2
r20b11
r20b1
r16b1
r16a2
r16a1
r152
r152c1
r06
r152b2
r152b1
r01
r152a2
r152a1
r151
r15b2
r15b1
r15a4
r15a3
r15a2
r15a1
r14beta3
r14beta2
r14beta1
r13beta1
r12beta4
r12beta3
r12beta2
r12beta1
release22
release21
release20
release16
release15
release14
release13
release12
release111
release11
release102
release101
release100
release099
release098

"Special" release tags:

release152p1-branch-tag
r09a2nt
r16b1-win
r15a4near
r22b1-docs-prep
r22a3-docs-prep
r22a2-docs-prep
r23a1-fork
r23rc1-fork
r23b2-fork
r23b1-fork
r23a2-fork
r22b2-fork
r22rc1-fork
r22a2-fork
r22b1-fork
r22a4-fork
r22a3-fork
release24-fork
release23-fork
release22-fork
release152p2 (docs only)
release152p1 (docs only)
release152 (docs only)
release152b2 (docs only)
release152b1 (docs only)
release152a1 (docs only)
release151p1 (docs only)

Mac releases:

r23b1-mac
r222-mac
r23-mac
r22c1-mac
r22b2-mac
r22b1-mac
release22-mac
mac102
r22c1-macmergefromtrunk (Mac dir)
release22-macmerge (Mac dir)
mac152c1 (Mac dir)
mac152b1 (Mac dir)
mac151 (Mac dir)
mac210 (Mac dir)
mac210b2 (Mac dir)
mac210b1a (Mac dir)
mac210b1 (Mac dir)
mac210a3 (Mac dir)
mac210a1 (Mac dir)
mac200 (Mac dir)
mac200b1 (Mac dir)

distutils tags (distutils only):

Distutils-1_0_3
Distutils-1_0_2
Distutils-1_0_1
Distutils-1_0
Distutils-0_9_4
Distutils-0_9_3
Distutils-0_9_2
Distutils-0_9_1
Distutils-0_9
Distutils-0_8_2
Distutils-0_8_1
Distutils-0_8
Distutils-0_1_5
Distutils-0_1_4
Distutils-0_1_3-branch
Distutils-0_1_3
Distutils-0_1_2
Distutils-0_1_1
Distutils-0_1

email tags (email only):

email_Release_2_5_6
email_Release_2_5_5
email_Release_2_5_3
email_Release_2_5_2
email_Release_2_5_1
email_Release_2_5
email_Release_2_5b1
email_Release_2_4_3
email_Release_2_4_2
email_Release_2_4_1
email_Release_2_4
email_Release_2_3_1
email_Release_2_3
email_Release_2_2
email_Release_2_1
Release_2_0_4
email_Release_2_0_5

Other tags:

r25a0/trunk
py3k-before-rstdocs
py26-before-rstdocs
before-ast-merge-to-head
mrg_to_ast-branch_15OCT05
IDLE-syntax-root
merged_from_MAIN_07JAN05
mrg_to_ast-branch_05JAN05
pre-sf-818006
bsddb_version_4_3_0
tim-doctest-closed
tim-doctest-merge-24a2
pre-sf-1149508
start-sf-965425
before-ast-merge-from-head
bsddb_version_4_2_4
pybsddb_after_bsddb42_01
pybsddb_before_bsddb42
bsddb_version_4_1_6
anthony-parser-branchpoint
IDLELIB_CREATED
COPY_TO_PYTHON
mrg_to_ast-branch_24APR03
cache-attr-fork
LAST_OLD_IDLE
before-bgen-pep252
py-cvs-2002_09_13-merged
py-cvs-2002_09_13
MERGED_FROM_DS_RPC_13SEP02
MERGED_TO_MAIN_13SEP02
PRE_DS_RPC_MERGE
BEFORE_RESTART
final_classic_builds
TAG_pre_teyc_gvr_rpc_patch
final_CW6_projects
universal_headers_332
before-carbon-package
after-descr-branch-merge
date2001-08-01
date2001-07-30
date2001-07-28
IDLEFORK_081_RELEASE
date2001-07-21
date2001-07-17b
date2001-07-17a
date2001-07-16
date2001-07-15
py-cvs-2001_07_13-merged
py-cvs-2001_07_13
py-cvs-rel2_1-merged
date2001-07-13
py-cvs-rel2_1
py-cvs-2000_03_09
descr-fork
date2001-07-06
base-VP-idle
merged-with-main-repository
after-call-reorg
before-call-reorg
pre_amk
last_cw_pro_53
last_68k_projects
cw_pro_5
arelease
pre_GUSI2
pre-unicode
idle05
pre_0_2_breakage
mx_builder-alpha2
pre-string-meths
idle-r02
PYIDE_APR98
PYTHONSCRIPT_0_5b1
OSAM_APR98
BBPY_0_2_3
lastoldnames
lastoldname
cwisync1
cnrisync2
chameleon-1
cnrisync
proof3
proof2
proof1
mhammond
last099
pre_jh
v0_10 (docs only)
v0_09 (docs only)
v0_08 (docs only)
v0_07 (docs only)
v0_06 (docs only)
Public_Release_20-Aug-1998 (one file only)
Public_Release_27-Mar-1998 (one file only)
Public_13-Mar-1998 (one file only)
Public_11-Mar-1998 (one file only)
Beta_20-Aug-1996 (one file only)
Beta_09-Aug-1996 (one file only)