[Python-Dev] hg conversion: tags

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 29 10:29:05 CEST 2010

Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> Okay, so let's summarize this thread so far:
>
> Martin is in favor of removing some tags (certainly partial ones), but
> is -0 on renaming them.
> Tres is in favor of renaming release tags.
> Georg advocates removing non-release tags, and doesn't care much about renaming.
> Barry would like to clean up release tag names (either dotted or hexversion).
> Alexander is +1 on renaming tags on the premise that "r311" tags
> conflict with "r42543" SVN rev notation.
> Antoine is in favor of renaming tags on the premise that using hg log
> -rr311 is awkward in comparison to -r3.1.1.
>
> So it seems like most people here like the idea of renaming the tags.
> Martin and Georg would also like to get rid of some of the non-release
> tags, but it's unclear if we should get rid of all non-release tags or
> just the partial ones.
>
> Below is a grouped list. Based on that list, I propose the following scheme:
>
> - keep all "normal" release tags, renamed along these lines:
>     r27 -> 2.7
>     r266 -> 2.6.6
>     r27rc2 -> 2.7rc2
>     r262c1 -> 2.6.2rc1 (rc and c should be normalized into the same
> thing, don't care which one)
>     r30b3 -> 3.0b3
>     release22 -> 2.2
>
> - keep Mac release tags that don't have the top-level Mac dir, renamed
> along these lines:
>     r23b1-mac -> 2.3b1-mac
>
> - get rid of "special" release tags and Mac release tags with top-level Mac dir
> - get rid of email and distutils tags
> - get rid of all other tags
>
> Does that make sense?

I'm not sure whether throwing away history in form of such tags
is a good idea.

I don't know how hg manages this, but can't we preserve the tag
information of the tags that you've scheduled to be removed
in some place that can easily be pulled in but doesn't
affect the main repo size ?

Renaming the release tags certainly is a good idea, since
we're not stuck with CVS naming requirements anymore. I'd prefix
the release tags with "release-" for additional context,
though.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 29 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/