[Python-Dev] hg conversion: tags

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:16:42 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether throwing away history in form of such tags
> is a good idea.
>
> I don't know how hg manages this, but can't we preserve the tag
> information of the tags that you've scheduled to be removed
> in some place that can easily be pulled in but doesn't
> affect the main repo size ?

But why bother? The tags are static, so grabbing them from svn instead
of hg shouldn't be a big issue. If we had unlimited resources to
support the transition my opinion would probably be different, but
since we don't, applying the simple rule of culling the non-release
tags seems good enough and better than spending too much time trying
to figure out which tags are "important" enough to be worth
preserving.

> Renaming the release tags certainly is a good idea, since
> we're not stuck with CVS naming requirements anymore. I'd prefix
> the release tags with "release-" for additional context,
> though.

So long as we don't start using bare numbers for anything other than
releases, I think that would just become redundant typing in fairly
short order.

Cheers,
Nick.