[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 29 21:07:32 CEST 2010

Guido, Brett,

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:47:51 -0700
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> The other option (as discussed on Buzz) is to add Rietveld's upload.py
> to Misc/ and tell people to use that to submit the patch.

It sounds like a good option (or, even better, a customized version as
suggested by Daniel).

> Then we
> simply say to the person submitting the patch, "upload it to Rietveld
> and paste in the link" or simply require it upfront to encourage
> people to do the upload in the first place.

We shouldn't require it. Some people don't have a Google account
(and/or don't want to have one). Also sometimes posting on Rietveld is
overkill (patches less than 30 lines long fall in this category, as far
as I'm concerned).

> This would let usage to
> move forward until we get that "start review" button (wasn't Ezio
> looking into it?).

Yes, I think Ezio was looking into it, but working on the tracker
apparently has a tendency to burn out developers rather quickly :-/
(first Ajaksu, now Ezio)

Regards

Antoine.