[Python-Dev] distutils and distutils2 bugs (Was: Re: Goodbye)

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Thu Sep 30 04:37:38 CEST 2010

Le 23/09/2010 22:51, Éric Araujo a écrit :
> Le 23/09/2010 19:22, Terry Reedy a écrit :
>> As of just now, if you were to wonder "What (security) bugs are open for
>> 2.5" and search on open 2.5 issues, you would get a list of 44 issues.
>> [...] It it 44 instead of perhaps 5 because Tarek
>> and Eric insist on marking all disutils2 issues for all versions even
>> though though these issues have nothing to do with maintenance releases.
>> It is a real nuisance when trying to do tracker cleanup.
>
> Let’s fix this.  [...]
>
> In short, setting versions other than “3rd party” for distutils2 bugs
> does not help distutils2 and raises unhelpful results for people
> querying the status of CPython releases.  +1 on changing that.

There has been no further feedback after Georg (thanks Georg), so I went
ahead and set “3rd party” for distutils2 bugs instead of 2.5-3.2, for
all the aforementioned reasons.  Bugs applying to distutils and
distutils2 have versions 2.7, 3.1, 3.2, 3rd party so that the
forward-port is not forgotten.

If you commit a change to distutils, sysconfig or pkgutil, it’s fine to
assign the forward-port to me or, if you can use Mercurial, to publish a
changeset somewhere and request a pull/import.

(Those versions changes sent a lot of email, but this had to be done.
Sorry for the inconvenience.)

Thanks again to Terry and Mark for their triage work.  Hope this helps!

Kind regards