[Python-Dev] [GSoC] Developing a benchmark suite (for Python 3.x)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 8 18:00:24 CEST 2011

On 4/8/2011 11:32 AM, Anthony Scopatz wrote:

> an interpreter.  For the purposes of benchmarking, the distinction
> between compiler and interpreter, as some one said above, 'dubious'.

I agree. We should be comparing 'Python execution systems'. My
impression is that some of what Cython does in terms of code analysis is
similar to PyPy does, perhaps in the jit phase. So comparing PyPy and
CPython+Cython on standard Python code is a fair and interesting comparison.

> You wouldn't want to add all of the type info or do anything in Cython
> that is *not* in Python here.  That would defeat the purpose of benchmarking
> where you absolutely have to compare apples to apples.

If Cython people want to modify benchmarks to show what speedup one can
get with what effort, that is a separate issue.

--
Terry Jan Reedy