[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: #11572: improvements to copy module tests along with removal of old test suite

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 00:03:11 CEST 2011

Hi Jim,

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 23:55, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why was the old test suite removed?
>
> Even if everything is covered by the test file (and that isn't clear
> from this checkin), I don't see anything wrong with a quick test that
> doesn't require loading the whole testing apparatus.  (I would have no
> objection to including a comment saying that the majority of the tests
> are in the test file; I just wonder why they have to be removed
> entirely.)

I see these reasons mainly:

- it adds nothing to the stdlib (where it was included): they are
tests, so they should be in the test suite
- it's unmaintained, since all the work on new tests or any change
will happen on the test_copy.py file and not in the copy.py (that's
true for any other module)
- and also running the tests for a single modules is just a (in this
case, I keep using copy:

./python -m test test_copy

and it has the advantage of running the whole test suite for that
module, not just some random code.

I plan to do other changes like this in the next days/weeks, so
actually thanks for the question :) since it bring that up to
python-dev we others can comment.

Cheers,