[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: #11572: improvements to copy module tests along with removal of old test suite

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Aug 6 00:07:04 CEST 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:55:33 -0400
Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why was the old test suite removed?
>
> Even if everything is covered by the test file (and that isn't clear
> from this checkin), I don't see anything wrong with a quick test that
> doesn't require loading the whole testing apparatus.  (I would have no
> objection to including a comment saying that the majority of the tests
> are in the test file; I just wonder why they have to be removed
> entirely.)

Nobody ever runs such tests when they are not part of the official
regression test suite, which makes them barely useful. Looking at them,
they don't seem very advanced and are probably covered by test_copy
already.

The only reason to have special code in the __main__ section of stdlib
modules is when it provides some (interactive) service to the user (for
example, "python -m zipfile" will give you a trivial equivalent of the
zip/unzip commands).

Regards

Antoine.