[Python-Dev] Packaging in Python 2 anyone ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 12:31:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am lacking of time right now to finish an important task before 3.2
>> final is out:
>
> If anyone else got at all confused by Tarek's email, s/3.x/3.x+1/ and
> it will all make sense (the mentioned release numbers in the 3.x
> series are all one lower than they should be - packaging is planned
> for 3.3, but a standalone library will allow feedback to be gathered
> from 2.x and 3.2 users before the API is 'locked in' for 3.3).

Oh yeah sorry for the version mess up :)

> How far has packaging diverged from distutils2, though? Wasn't that
> the planned venue for any backports in order to avoid name conflicts?

The plan is to provide under earlier versions of Python a standalone
project that does not use the "packaging" namespace, but the
"distutils2" namespace.

IOW, the task to do is:

1/ copy packaging and all its stdlib dependencies in a standalone project
2/ rename packaging to distutils2
3/ make it work under older 2.x and 3.x (2.x would be the priority)  <====
4/ release it, promote its usage
5/ consolidate the API with the feedback received

I realize it's by far the less interesting task to do in packaging,
but it's by far one of the most important

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org