[Python-Dev] Packaging in Python 2 anyone ?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 00:30:39 CEST 2011

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek <at> gmail.com> writes:

> IOW, the task to do is:
>
> 1/ copy packaging and all its stdlib dependencies in a standalone project
> 2/ rename packaging to distutils2
> 3/ make it work under older 2.x and 3.x (2.x would be the priority)  <====
> 4/ release it, promote its usage
> 5/ consolidate the API with the feedback received
>
> I realize it's by far the less interesting task to do in packaging,
> but it's by far one of the most important

Okay, I had a bit of spare time today, and here's as far as I've got:

Step 1 - done.
Step 2 - done.
Step 3 - On Python 2.6 most of the tests pass:

Ran 322 tests in 12.148s

FAILED (failures=3, errors=4, skipped=39)

See the detailed test results (for Linux) at https://gist.github.com/1152791

The code is at https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/du2/

stdlib dependency code is either moved to util.py or test/support.py as
appropriate. You need to test in a virtualenv with unittest2 installed. No work
has been done on packaging the project.

I'm not sure if I'll have much more time to spend on this, but it's there in
case someone else can look at the remaining test failures, plus Steps 4 and 5;
hopefully I've broken the back of it :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip