[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython (3.2): #5301: add image/vnd.microsoft.icon (.ico) MIME type

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Aug 21 21:12:24 CEST 2011

On 8/21/2011 5:09 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

>> However small the commit was, I think it still was a feature request, so
>> I wonder if it was appropriate for the stable versions.

Good catch.

> I can see your point: the reason I committed it also on the stable
> branches is that .ico are already out there (since a long time) and
> they were currently not recognized. I can call it a bug.

But it is not (a behavior bug). Every feature request 'fixes' what its
proposer considers to be a design bug or something.

> Anyhow, if it was not appropriate, just tell me and I'll revert on 2.7
> and 3.2 . Thanks for your input!

It is a new feature for the same reason
http://bugs.python.org/issue10730 was. If that had not been added for
3.2.0 (during the beta period, with Georg's permission), it would have
waited for 3.3.s

Our intent is that the initial CPython x.y.0 release 'freeze' the
definition of Python x.y. Code that were to use the new feature in 3.2.3
would not work in 3.2.0,.1,.2, making 3.2.3 define a slight variant.
People who want the latest version of an stdlib module should upgrade to
the latest release or even download from the repository. For mimetypes,
the database can be explicitly augmented in the code and then the code
would work in all 2.7 or 3.2 releases.

--
Terry Jan Reedy