[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:26:53 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:23 AM, stefan brunthaler
<stefan at brunthaler.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 09:42, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> Stefan, have you shared a pointer to your code yet? Is it open source?
>>
> I have no shared code repository, but could create one (is there any
> pydev preferred provider?). I have all the copyrights on the code, and
> I would like to open-source it.

Currently, the easiest way to create shared repositories for CPython
variants is to start with bitbucket's mirror of the main CPython repo:
https://bitbucket.org/mirror/cpython/overview

Use the website to create your own public CPython fork, then edit the
configuration of your local copy of the CPython repo to point to the
your new bitbucket repo rather than the main one on hg.python.org. hg
push/pull can then be used as normal to publish in-development
material to the world. 'hg pull' from hg.python.org makes it fairly
easy to track the trunk.

One key thing is to avoid making any changes of your own on the
official CPython branches (i.e. default, 3.2, 2.7). Instead, use a
named branch for anything you're working on. This makes it much easier
to generate standalone patches later on.

My own public sandbox
(https://bitbucket.org/ncoghlan/cpython_sandbox/overview) is set up
that way, and you can see plenty of other examples on bitbucket.

Cheers,
Nick.