[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 30 20:41:05 CEST 2011

On 8/30/2011 1:23 PM, stefan brunthaler wrote:
> (I just wanted to know if there is substantial interest so that
 >  it eventually pays off to find and fix the remaining bugs)

It is the nature of our development process that there usually can be no
guarantee of acceptance of future code. The rather early acceptance of
Unladen Swallow was to me something of an anomaly. I also think it was
something of a mistake insofar as it discouraged other efforts, like yours.

I think the answer you have gotten is that there is a) substantial
interest and b) a willingness to consider a major change such as
switfing from bytecode to something else. There also seem to be two main
concerns: 1) that the increase in complexity be 'less' than the increase
in speed, and 2) that the changes be presented in small enough chunks
that they can be reviewed.

Whether this is good enough for you to proceed is for you to decide.

--
Terry Jan Reedy